Wednesday, June 21, 2006

object writing

In an attempt to improve my writing skills, I have decided to read Writing Better Lyrics by Pat Pattison. This is a wonderful development resource. It is filled with exercises and examples that make you think on a deeper level. You are challenged to use 7 senses, not just the basic 5.

The first practice mentioned in the book is object writing. Pick any object and write about it, for 10 minutes when you first wake up. The point is to "treat the object as a diving board to launch you inward to the vaults of your senses" (p.2) When you are finished you are to go through and see what senses you managed to touch on in your writing. It is more challenging than it may seem at first. I chose to write about my alarm clock in my first exercise and although I was able to make a statement, there was not much depth to it, because I only touched on two of the senses, hearing and kinesthetic.

I want the works I create to have meaning and put the reader in touch with something within themselves. I hope to evoke a private emotion or take them on a trip down memory lane that stirs them in a way that makes them want to experience that moment over and over again. That is why I like the writers, whether novelists or songwriters, that I do. I am not just reading or listening to a song, I am experiencing the world that their words have created.

In any case, I will post some of my early morning object writing entries here to gauge my progress. (Hopefully there will be growth!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home